Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bittersweet

I'm sure this could be a title for many posts as the girls get older. Tonight, it's for Kermit, and the fact that she no longer wants to be rocked to sleep. It's actually a relief that she doesn't need it anymore, since 4 nights a week a put the girls to bed alone, but I miss that cuddling and bonding time already. For a while now, Hubby has been putting her to bed that way at nap time when he's home alone during the week. She's gotten to the point now where she doesn't want to be rocked. Period. I try, but she fights me. She squirms and cries. I put her down and most of the time she doesn't make a peep. If she does squawk it's usually for only a couple of minutes. It is nice, but kinda sad.

Bur, on the other hand, is still a handful. Man, she used to be the easy one. She'd go down easy, sleep for hours, blah, blah, blah. Now, she takes FOREVER to rock, most of the time she's awake in less than 5 minutes and won't fall asleep again unless she's rocked. I know this isn't the ideal way to put her to bed, but up to this point, we've just kind of stuck with what works. We need to figure out something different though. I don't want to be rocking and packing a two year old to bed every night.

On a good note, I think I've got a bedtime routine, finally. We've always basically did bottle, jammies then bed, but it wasn't always that way. We seem to have fallen into a routine, since the girls have been eating around 5:30 -6pm every night. The last few days I've implemented the new routine: bottle, jammies, book, bed. The girls LOVE books! They both reach out and grab on to either the book or the pictures. I want to get some of those books that have different textures in them. I think they'd like it.

Anyway, like I said, I'm sure this is the first of many bittersweet moments with the girls, but it doesn't make this one any less emotional.

No comments:

Post a Comment