Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 8, 2010

The great feeding dilema

I may be making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, but now that we are introducing solid foods I'm really confused on the amounts my girls should be eating. I know they still need a lot of formula, but does it stay the same when they are getting solid foods too? Ugh...

Another dilemma is poor Natalie. She has been the spit-up queen for quite a while. We started off with Dr. Brown's bottles when they were small. They are the 4oz size. Well, once they outgrew those we just bought some regular ol' bottles. Nothing fancy. She had gotten up to 6oz per feeding, but she seemed to barf up a lot of it. I know babies spit up, but this was just abnormal. So, we decided to cut back to 4oz, use the Dr. B's and feed her a little more often. This has seemed to help, but I'm still concerned. Their doc is being called today. She's also always been the smaller of the two, and not that it's a big deal, but I just want to make sure she's growing properly and getting enough nutrition.

When it comes to the solid food thing, Natalie doesn't seem that interested, which is fine. I know right now the formula is more nutritious. So we keep trying out cereal. But I'm definitely letting her go at her own pace.

Katie on the other hand is obsessed with watching me eat. She is a good cereal eater. And yesterday she tried sweet potatoes for the first time and LOVED them. With her I'd like to keep moving with the solids, but I don't know how to proceed. Do I keep up with the same amount of formula and just see how much solids she eats afterward? I've been doing it backwards, I discovered. I've been feeding her solids before the bottle, but I guess I should let her eat all her bottle first and then let her eat the solids that way she gets the most nutrition that way. I guess that makes sense since sometimes she gets too impatient waiting for the spoon and would rather suck on a bottle.

At their four month appointment N & K weighed 11.5 and 12.5lbs respectively. They are little girls. I think N was in the 8th percentile and K was in the 22nd. Like I said, I don't care that they are small as long as they are continuing to grow properly, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that by changing their feedings.

Anywho, I just have been thinking about that a lot in the last few days. Decisions, decisions...

In counting weeks, the girls will be six months on Wednesday, but month-wise, they won't be until the 26th...Now is about when it's recommended they start being introduced to solids anyway.

Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. We started with solids in addition to regular feedings. When you start out you are just "introducing" solids. Just make sure to go slow. Probably keep a log to keep track of who is doing which foods when since they are going at different paces. I think, especially since they are so little, just keep up the same on the formula and add solids on top and if they are full they will let you know. Good luck. Watch out for constipation.

    ReplyDelete